Thursday, April 17, 2014

Miguel Angel Jimenez playing first Champions Tour Event

Today is a great day for golf fans like me. One of the most interesting and good players of our time will play his first Champions Tour Event, The Greater Gwinnet Championship in GA.

There are a few reasons why I am excited about it. Miguel Angel Jimenez is one of  my 2 all time favorite golfers. Beginning in the early 90s I started to like this man's  unique style and approach to this game. True, he was not always successful over the years, some might say. But looking at his record I would have to disagree.

He might not have been in the top 10 of the European tour every year since he turned professional in 1982. However, to my knowledge, Miguel Angel Jimenez was in the top 100 of the European tour ever since the late 80s and that show is durability and ability.

It was and is nice to watch Miguel playing the game, warm up or give interviews. His normal and ever so calm way of doing things transmit a good vibration. Not that he can not get excited on the course. But even when he does it looks different.

To me Jimenez always looked like someone who enjoys what he does on the course and in life. Someone who lives his dream without being tight up about it. Some might say that it all looks like that on TV only. It might. But some 7 years ago I was able to actually meet this man in real life.

The Mallorca Classic at Pula Golf ( Mallorca, Spain) was a European Tour event for a few years. It happened to be, that in 2007 we actually moved to Mallorca for a while. I was in preparation for the Alps Tour ( a third leg mini tour in Europe) and needed a membership at a good golf club. Moving to Cala Millor made my choice easy. Pula Golf was just around the corner.

I was not aware they will play the Mallorca Classic that year. But when I found out I was excited and when I found out that Jimenez, Garcia and many others will play, I was flat out happy.

Needless to say that my focus was on those two players. I wanted to find out first hand, if Miguel Angel is living up to what is shown of him on TV. Was sitting next to him at the restaurant, the café, watched his warm and walked an entire round with the group.

Result: Miguel Angel Jimenez is exactly how we get him presented on TV. As a matter of fact, he seems so relaxed at times that you might wonder if he is going to tee off at all. While most of the guys warmed up on the range. Miguel Angel was having a cigar, chatting with some friends, fans and his team. The warm up was very short. On the course, he had a good time. He was in focus on this tough course, but never looked tight or stressed.

Only one time, after his not so good tee shot on 12 he had to say a word or two. Totally understandable because it was a very bad tee shot and almost was out of play.

Overall, it was one of the most enjoyable groups I have ever walked with. ( not to say that I did not like to walk with Sergio the next day. He was fun to watch and played some incredible shots). Seemed like a round of golf in the club. He finished tied for 18th that weekend.

Funny. In that very same tournament there were many great players like McDowell, Jaidee, Bjorn and the list goes on. But yet my interest was focused on Jimenez. It was all worth it. Now when I see him play, practice and talk, I have a much bigger connection. I understand , that the man we see on TV is actually the man you would meet in real life. He is what his, does what he does and says what he means. You got to love him.

Having Miguel Angel Jimenez on the Senior Tour and PGA Tour will be wonderful. He will excite us with great golf, his laid back style and simple and honest interviews. No doubt in my mind that he will win soon on the Champions Tour. Also no doubt that he is good for a win on the PGA Tour at any time.

What makes today and tomorrow even more special? Jimenez is playing with Fred Couples. Fred Couples is the second of my all time modern players. I lived over 15 years in Seattle and played where he played. I watched him win lose and endure life. Never losing his humor, his charm and his incredible talent.

Pure pleasure to have those two together in one group. I think  that Miguel Angel Jimenez deserves the title: Most interesting man in golf.

He showed and shows us, that you can play at the highest level even just being a normal person and even beyond 50. In an interview recently he said that he enjoys what he does and that this is the key to whatever you do. He is right.

Miguel Angel Jimenez to me is an encouragement for my golf career and hopefully to many young players.

What do you think about Jimenez? Will he succeed on the senior tour? Where does he rank in your pro golfer list?

No comments:

Post a Comment