Friday, April 11, 2014

The Masters Tournament - First day and current play

Some of  you probably were wondering why I did not write a word yet. There is a simple reason for that. I am playing golf myself. What is better than watching The Masters? Playing golf. I love watching golf tournaments. It does not matter where they are played and what they are about.

However, if I get a chance to play a tournament or even a regular round of golf, I am out there doing it. So yesterday, the first day of the Masters, I was out and playing a tournament on a wonderful golf course. Had a great time and did not give one thought to the Masters. When you play your thoughts should be on the task at hand anyway.

But when I got home I still had the opportunity to watch some of it. Immediately I looked for my personal favorites. Garcia being one of them did not look to bad in the beginning. Sergio has a good year going and it is only a matter of time to get a Major on his resume. We will have to see how he can handle the course today. I still  have a feeling that Sergio will play well and finish in the top 5 this year.

Cabrera had a tough first day and the margin he has to overcome to make the cut is pretty big. Not that it is impossible to do so, but this golf course is tough and every shot needs to be exactly right in order to make it happen. Angel knows how to do it as we know. So we will see what kind of Argentine magic and emotions he can bring on to the course.

Two of my all time favorites are Fred Couples and Miguel Angel. No doubt that those guys are golf legends and they know how to play. Tied for 12th after the 1st round shows that they have the ability to make things happen. Miguel had a wonderful start being as much as 4 under par. Now that gets me excited for sure. Those two and Bernhard Langer are living proof that you can play fabulous golf at 50 or older. That gives hope to literally every one.

What about those young guys. Patrick Reed played well , but the course took some shots back in the end. Spieth looks great and I think he is good for a great round today. He wants it bad and it would be nice to see him Saturday and Sunday.

Looking at the leaderboard, there is plenty of good players who can make it happen. Adam Scott is in the hunt and according to him he plays better than last year. Watched him all last year and this year. Not sure what the improvement might be. Looks the same to me. He certainly has the ability to win this tournament. Is Scott my favorite? Nope. Sure is not. But he was not last year and he won anyway :).

I really like Kevin Stadler being up there. Loved to watch his das play and I like his game as well. They work, they have fun and they are naturals. Kevin would make a great Masters Champion. Especially in this event. An event where Father and Son are playing in the same field. How good would that be.

But here is what we have to realize. This golf course and this tournament are absolutely unpredictable. You just never know what will happen on any given time. If you put your ball in the wrong spot by a foot, you might lose a few strokes one that hole. Phil showed us just that with a 7 on a par 4 after being pretty close to the pin.

There is also the nerves. I do not care who is playing. At Augusta, everybody shows nerves and is vulnerable to mental errors.

I have the opportunity to watch more of Augusta National today. My feeling is , that we will see a couple surprising stories develop. An older guy making a great move and a new talent playing himself into contention. Also I think that Scott will play a solid round and stay in the hunt or at least close. Bill Haas knows how to win big and he feels good. His swing looks good and his on course decision making looked good as well.

But in the end, we all have to wait and see what the course will do to the players today. Conditions are perfect and the field is one of the best fields ever to go after this title. So what is your prediction? Who will make the biggest move today ? What will the cut line be? ( I think it will be 2 or 3 over).

No comments:

Post a Comment