Friday, March 21, 2014

Bubba Watson does a really good John Daly impersonation at Bay Hill - is what I read today and it is only partly true and what about Morgan Pressel

Compare Bubba Watson in any way with John Daly is pretty bold I think. It will take another decade until Bubba has accomplished what JD did. But I could write pages about that matter. More important is the article below which I found today online.
It tells us about Bubba shooting an 11, 1 less than JD in Tampa, and then walking of the course because of allergy. Right. Allergy. I do not think so.
I would agree that JD had his moments over the years. But in recent play he finished, regardless of score and play. So he did in Tampa and even commented on his round. Bubba walked off. But most likely for different reasons. Will we ever know? Probably not.
Also interesting is another fact which confirms my article I wrote about the value for sponsors players like John Daly bring into a tournament.
I watched golf, read golf and live golf all day long, every day. Yet it took me a complete day and literally an internet search to find any headline about Bubba Watson shooting an 11 or even playing at all. The Val Spar Open had huge exposure on the internet and not because of the winner or because of the great play. But because an iconic golfer shot a bad round and finished. Can not wait to see John back on the course.

Here is what I read before I wrote my note above.

Bubba Watson does a really good John Daly impersonation at Bay Hill

By Alex Myers

A long-hitting PGA Tour player knocked three straight balls into the water before writing a double-digit number on his scorecard and shooting one of the worst rounds of his career. Sound familiar?

Six days after John Daly shot 90 at Innisbrook, Bubba Watson signed for an 83 at Bay Hill, including an 11 on the par-5 sixth hole. Watson withdrew following his round because of allergies.

blog-bubba-watson-0320.jpg
"It's hard to focus when you're heads all discombobulated from medicine and pollen #spellcheck" Watson tweeted.

Related: John Daly pulls a John Daly, shoots 90

But the Watson-to-Daly comparisons don't end there. Coincidentally, Watson's 11 came on the same hole Daly posted the biggest blowup of his blowup-filled career. In the 1998 Bay Hill Invitational, Daly made an 18 on No. 6 in the final round.

This week's Arnold Palmer Invitational is used by many players as the final big tuneup for the Masters. Interestingly, on Thursday, the reigning Masters champ, Adam Scott, bested Bubba, the tournament's 2012 winner by a whopping 21 shots.

"Looking forward to getting back out there #twoweekstilaugusta" Watson added on Twitter.


Follow the original link to read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2014/03/bubba-watson-does-a-really-god-john-daly-impersonation-at-ba.html#ixzz2wbpE8oE3


Another story which I really liked and which you briefly read about in the article below, was about Morgan Pressel. I like this girl. She is playing some good golf and the first round at The Founders was impressive. But if I would be 9 under par after 11, I would not know what to think myself. Will I keep going like that? Shall I bring it home? I am not sure. One thing is for sure. Morgan did a good job finishing the round and putting herself in a great position at this tournament. It would have been nice to beet the only 59 ever played by Annika, but that is a huge undertaking. It will happen. Just a matter of time. Reading the article below I think this will be a good lady's golf weekend.

Morgan Pressel flirts with 59, settles for 65 at Founders Cup


Morgan Pressel
Getty Images
Consecutive bogeys torpedoed Morgan Pressel's bid for 59.
PHOENIX (AP) --- Morgan Pressel's bid for history ended Thursday in a tangled desert bush. She settled for the second spot on the crowded leaderboard in the JTBC Founders Cup.
Golf's magic number of 59 in range after she played the first 11 holes in 9 under, Pressel bogeyed the next two holes and closed with five pars for a 7-under 65.
"I don't know if I was necessarily thinking 59, but I probably just got a little bit excited, because I had never been that many under par in that short of a span," Pressel said. "I just got a little bit quick and came back to earth."
She ended up a stroke behind Mirim Lee at Desert Ridge.
After birdieing Nos. 1 and 2 -- her 10th and 11th holes -- to reach 9 under, Pressel pulled her drive left on the par-4 third. Her ball lodged at the base of a short bush, with the bulk of the branches between the right-hander and the ball. There were burrowing animal holes near the ball, but they didn't interfere with a possible swing or stance.
"I could have hit it left-handed and there were a couple of burrowing animal holes around," Pressel said. "I brought them (rules officials) over to ask, but I didn't honestly think that I was going to get relief and I don't think that I deserved it."
Pressel took an unplayable lie and missed the green to the right, chipped to 7 feet and made the putt to save bogey. She also dropped a stroke on the par-3 fourth, missing a 15-footer after hitting another iron to the right.
"It wasn't the finish that I would have hoped for, but it gives me a little bit of confidence knowing how many birdies I can make and I'm capable of," Pressel said.
She was 6 under after six holes, birdieing the first four and making a 50-footer for eagle on the par-5 15th. She also birdied the par-3 17th and made the turn in 7-under 29.
"I don't know that I've ever gotten off to that hot of a start," Pressel said.
Annika Sorenstam shot the only 59 in LPGA Tour history in the 2001 Standard Register Ping at nearby Moon Valley. Ai Miyazato holds the record in the 4-year-old Founders Cup, shooting a 63 in the first round last year.
A tour regular since she was 17, the 25-year-old Pressel won the 2007 Kraft Nabisco to become the youngest women's major champion. She also won the 2008 Kapalua LPGA.
"I definitely feel like I have the ability to win again," Pressel said.
Lee also started on No. 10 and nearly matched Pressel's start, playing her opening nine in 6-under 30. She had three birdies and a bogey on the front side for a 64.
"Everything was good," Lee said.
Defending champion Stacy Lewis, top-ranked Inbee Park and Michelle Wie were two strokes back at 66 along with 2011 winner Karrie Webb, Eun-Hee Ji, Catriona Matthew, Gerina Piller and Perenilla Lindberg.
"A lot of tee shots set up well for me," Lewis said. "They fit my eye."
Coming off a victory two weeks ago in China in a Ladies European Tour event, Park birdied the final three holes. She closed with a tap-in birdie on the par-4 ninth after nearly holing a full pitching wedge.
"It was a very solid round," Park said. "Very good irons."
Wie eagled the par-5 fifth.
"I hit 3-wood, 5-iron over the green and then chipped in," Wie said.
Sixteen-year-old Lydia Ko opened with a 67. Playing alongside Park, Ko closed with a bogey after driving left into the desert.
"I forgot to bring my food and my protein bars," Ko said. "That's my excuse."
Park had six LPGA Tour victories last season, sweeping the first three majors, and became the first South Korean to win the player of the year award. She took a break after the season and skipped the first two events this year, returning with a second-place finish in Thailand and a tie for fourth in Singapore.
"I was a little bit exhausted last year after all the things happened," Park said.
Paula Creamer, a playoff winner three weeks ago in Singapore in the last LPGA Tour event, shot 70. She had a double bogey on the par-4 eighth, her 17th hole.
"Just one bad swing on the tee shot and hit in the hazard," Creamer said


Original article posted by:  http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/morgan-pressel-flirts-59-settles-65-founders-cup#ixzz2wbsMjWjp


Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment