Saturday, March 29, 2014

Eurasia Cup Final Results - PGA Tour and LPGA news - Golf tours general

What a golfing weekend so far. So what happened?

Well first let's talk about the Eurasia Cup. When I got up this morning I was able to watch some of it and it was interesting what I saw. Asia playing extremely well and catching up and Europe struggling to move on to win that event.

Honestly when I left to play in a tournament myself, I thought Europe will close the deal and win the first ever EurAsia Cup. But coming home I was proofing wrong big time.

Opening the PGA Tour official site I found that Asia actually not only caught up with Europe, but almost won the entire event. Amazing. When I first wrote about this new tournament I mentioned on how the Europeans were the favorite on paper. Seems like they were the favorite on paper only.

Those Asian players got excited and motivated. Shot by shot, hole by hole and they pulled it off. Making this event an exciting show for the finally showing up spectator crowed and the viewers on TV. This is team golf as it was meant to be.

In the end, the finished with a tie. Is that a good thing? Well I think it is not a bad thing and they all looked pretty happy and smiling. Showing great sportsmanship. The EurAsia Cup is on the map and with a beginning which leaves all players involved with a positive experience in mind.

In Asia they will talk about how they were holding off the strong Europeans and in Europe they will talk about a loss which was acceptable , because everybody gave his best and after all it is golf and anything can happen. Starting today, European and Asian players will not only work on trying to play in the Ryder Cup, but to qualify for the EurAsia Cup , which might even count as a last opportunity for some to proof themselves.

Looking forward to find out who will show up in the Ryder Cup Team. There is a couple players which for sure will make it and this event confirmed their ability.

Meanwhile in Texas. Most exciting news I found so far. Phil made the cut after showing some great workmanship in the water and a good 18th. Then he injured and withdrew from the tournament. Makes you wonder if he pulled his muscle in the water.

The leaderboard show some interesting names. Bowditch leading for example or Loupe in a tie for 2nd. Both players with holes to go. Right in the middle of a bunch of well known players and winners. Loupe really did not have the breakthrough yet and it remains to be seen if he can keep up his good play n today and then finish strong tomorrow.

Bowditch finished a little better so far, but not much. Both players are well outside the top 125 and a good finish will move them up a lot. Thing is, you never know what happens and Sunday is the toughest day and the last 5 holes are the longest holes ever.

I can not write too much about the play itself. I was playing myself and did not get a chance to watch and follow what is going on. The leaderboard looks interesting and I look forward to watch more tomorrow.

Had no chance to watch much of the LPGA either. But seeing the Dori Carter on top of the leaderboard is great. She is just at the beginning of her career and is one of many great rookies joining the tour. I love ladies golf and think it is underrated and needs some more attention. For that matter I wish that one of her wishes, being interviewed by David Feherty, will come true soon.

Those young players will help bringing this attention. They are exciting to watch. They are excited and some of them will hopefully be great role models. It is nice to see favorites like Inbee or Stacy Lewis win, but it is even nicer when more new players not only join the tour, but also start winning and competing. That will push the veterans to new heights and to more work. Which I know they are all willing to put in.

Some of my favorites, like Sandra Gal, did not make the cut. But again, that is golf live :). You play, you work  ,you practice, you make the cut, you miss the cut, you win and you lose. In one word: Golf.

The new NEC Latin America Series is something I really like. It will give many new players a stepping stone to make it to the web.com. Just like Ryan Blaum, who also played the NGA. I am excited to see Daniel Maziotta in the field after making another cut. I know Daniel for a few years now. Even in 2012 we already knew he will make it. Played often good on the West Florida Golf Tour, NGA Tour and so on. Glad to see him out there doing what needs to be done and playing well.

In my mind, there is a future PGA Tour player in the making. There are some others I actually know, but we do not want to go through all of them. The scores look good, plenty of new names and no doubt we will see some of them on the web.com tour.

Here is my thought for tomorrow.

At least one of the two Bowditch or Loupe will finish in the top 5, Matt Kuchar will be in the top 5 and Kevin Na is hot and might just pick up a win.

Not sure about the ladies. I would hop for Dori Carter to make it and win this event, but there is some big shots right behind her.

Nothing about the NEC. I hardly know any of the players on top. Just wish Daniel a good round tomorrow.

One thing is for sure. I will make it a point from here on to watch more /Asian golf. Wonder if there is more golfers out there who are interested in the Asian tour, ladies tour and so on. What is your prediction for tomorrow?

Wonder why I did not mention the web.com or Champions Tour? Well, tomorrow is another day and I just did not get into it today :).






Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment