Thursday, March 27, 2014

Eurasia Cup Day 1 result - Jimenez leads European team to huge lead

I was only able to watch up to a certain time yesterday and had to go to bed. But I wish I could have been right in front of my TV to see the European players finish with this incredible lead.

Not that I had doubt that they will win. The odds were pretty much in their favor from the beginning. However, this was such dominant performance even I was surprised. Jimenez, El Capitano, lead the pack in star fashion. Most impressive were his two eagles I watched  before hitting the sack. Those two approach shots were unbelievable.

My second favorite team effort must be the one by McDowel and partner. Falling behind so fast was a big surprise and then winning the match, shows exactly what I wrote before and will write again. McDowel isn't done until he is done. I am sure Donaldson learned something in that round.

Looking at the pairings for Friday Jimenez decided to stay with the pairings as he had them play the first day. This also is not a surprise. It seemed like the teams were in good shape and comfortable. As he said long before this weekend when asked by media. He kept it relaxed. Let players do what they can do best and just gives them confidence and calm.

He sure did, with this play and simply as a person.

Jaidee did change his teams. Not sure why, but I am sure he has something in mind and we will see if it will do any good. At times change is good. Here is the thing. Those Asian players are just not well known. To me at least. I follow golf all over the World. But the Asian tour is somewhat far away.

I personally think, that the EurAsia Cup went off to a great start. Players seem to enjoy themselves and all look organized. One thing I hope for tomorrow and Saturday are more spectators. When you look at the galleries they put up there, they must have expected more even on day 1.

No matter how many people will show up, this event will be a success and largely because of the players who are playing and the passion they show. Tonight they will not start televising until midnight. Since I will play in a tournament myself , I will not get to see any of it.

There will be some great golf again and surely the Asian players will put up a good fight. I am hoping, that we will still get an exciting Saturday. It would be sad if the match would be over early. Makes me wonder if they finish play if points are reached? I might have to read the entire rules section.

My tip for tomorrow is that Asia will get 3 points back. They are good for more, but after this start Europe is hot.

Did you watch any of it ? Any opinions on the event? It would be interesting to hear what other golf fans, writers or professionals think.

No comments:

Post a Comment