Thursday, March 6, 2014

March 6th 2014 - WGC at Doral, Puerto Rico Open and then some. Jumping into golf discussions and news

There we go. I am so excited. Today I am starting my golf news and discussion blog. Something I always wanted to do. Write about golf. Talk about golf. Have discussions about golf and everything around this great sport. It took me a while. I wanted to find out what I want to write about. Trust me, I gave it a ton of thought. But in the end the answer was simple. I want to write about golf. Professional golf, Amateur golf, golf TV, international golf, golf professionals and more. Show golf results of all kinds of tours and follow professionals on their career. Maybe I even do some interviews. We will see.

So today the PGA Tour started the World Golf Championships - Cadillac Championship and the Puerto Rico Open. Both events have on thing and only one thing in common. Donald Trump. That was it. Looking at the field of both tournaments , in Doral the 50 top ranked players are trying to master the newly designed course while new comers, old timers and former champions give their best to take advantage of those other guys not playing an moving up in the rankings or catching a win and some exemption.

Both events are interesting and I like to follow certain players. I actually am more interested in the Puerto Rico Open then the mega event in Miami, Florida. Not that I do not like to watch Tiger going for more records, Stenson hitting a shank while trying to follow up his most incredible year, Jimenez showing the young guys how you can relax and play well anyway, but what I really like are the guys who are fighting to survive. The young professionals who are trying to reach for their dreams, the older guys who are trying to stay in and get another shot at a big year and the Major Champions like Duval and Daly who with their presence alone fill tournaments and who are simply trying to get back in the ranks one more time in preparation for the senior tour.

At Doral good golf was played and yet, many balls found the water on this much harder golf course.  Those guys had to work hard to keep the ball in play. The wind did not help as well. On top of that , they had to stop playing because of incoming storms and rain. Not an easy start. It seems that some of the young guys like English, Henley and Reed were able to deal with all that pretty well. But also some of the veterans and some of my favorite players like Jimenez, Garcia as well as Michelson did well. Overall, when I look at the current leaderboard, it is all pretty mixed up and anything can happen. Many players were not able to finish and with the weather being better tomorrow, they might have a slight advantage when finishing. We will see. Not sure who I would call a favorite at this point. I think for now I just let them play. Tomorrows round will give us some more inside.

Complete Leaderboard at WGCC at Doral in Miami , Florida

In Puerto Rico my favorite player by far is John Daly. John had a rough start, but came back nicely and put himself with many others in a reasonable position for tomorrow. Even being back by a few strokes, John is always good for a low round. I really would like to see him in the top 10 again or even win a tournament. David Duval might not be my favorite, but after this long and tough time I really wish him some success. Stuard shot a great round and has a comfortable lead. But we will see if he can keep it up and is strong enough to follow with another good round tomorrow.

Complete Leaderboard at Puerto Rico Open

One of the most interesting events today: Stenson Shank. Not because he hit a shank. But because the media made a big story out of it. Yet, shanks are nothing special. Happen all the time. They just are not caught on camera that often. But with a name like Stenson, oh well. Looks interesting and gives you some peace of mind when hitting one.

Other results in professional golf around the World:

Leaderboard web.com tour Chile Open

Leaderboard Asian Tour Open Qualifying

Leaderboard Barclays Kenya Open

Leaderboard NGA Golf Tour Spring Hill Classic

Surely there is more results, but those are the tournaments I am following right now. Soon you find a page with a link list of pro golf tours all over the World. Be patient.

So what is your word on the two PGA tour events? Any favorites? Any specials comments? Remember this is just a start and it is not all about tournaments.


No comments:

Post a Comment