Monday, March 24, 2014

Webb sets course record, claims Founders Cup title - Stacey Lews comes up short, Lydia Ko can not hold up - but where is a word about Azahara Munoz?


It was an interesting tournament and I must say that Webb played yet another great event. Well deserved win by the veteran who seems to really get in motion this season. You have to congratulate here. It was also nice to read that KO was in the hunt and only lost because of the sensational round Webb put on the board.
However, to me the story of the tournament is actually a totally different player.
Azahara Munoz! When you look at here last 5 events, she quietly and constantly gets better and finishes pretty good. Last two tournaments she finished 2nd.
It makes me wonder why there is literally no article , no news, no nothing about this girl to find. It is nice to read about the other players. They play well, break records, are the youngest , are the oldest or whatever. But what about some of the players doing a good job while not being the flashy, famous or breaking records? To me Azahara showed yet another time how good she is and how close to get more wins on her resume. I am already looking forward to see here in Carlsbad. 2 second place finishes show a trend which could lead to a big win soon. No guarantee, but a good trend. I like women's golf. It is nice to watch and those ladies play some good golf, but I think the media needs to recognize in a broader matter what some of the girls get done out there. Which btw also counts for TV coverage where we, just like when the men are playing, only get to see the leading top 10 or so. But that is no news to anyone :) .


Webb sets course record, claims Founders Cup title
Facebook
Email
PHOENIX - Karrie Webb is close friends with founding player Louise Suggs and has a deep appreciation for the 13 women who started the LPGA in 1950.
The 39-year-old Australian made some more history of her own Sunday in the JTBC Founders Cup, rallying to win the event that honors the tour's pioneers.
''It's a very special event,'' Webb said.
The Hall of Famer shot a course-record 9-under 63 to take the lead, then waited 90 minutes to see if anyone could catch her.
To her surprise, no one did.
''I didn't expect to be sitting here at the start of the day,'' Webb said. ''Even, actually, when I finished the day, I didn't expect to be sitting here. So I feel a little bit lucky, I guess, to be sitting here. But it doesn't make it feel any less special.''
For the second time in the event, Webb overcame a six-stroke deficit in the final round. In 2011 in the inaugural tournament, she finished with a 66 for a one-stroke victory.
''I just love the feeling of this event,'' Webb said.



Webb donated $50,000 of her $225,000 check, giving $25,000 each to LPGA-USGA Girls Golf and ''The Founders'' documentary movie. She did an interview for the film this week and learned that only about 10 percent of the necessary money had been raised to complete the project.
''I was just standing on the 18th green when Mike (Whan, LPGA commissioner) was introducing me, and it just came to me that, 'You know, I would love to be a part of that movie being produced.'''
Webb talked Friday night with the 90-year-old Suggs, a fixture at the tournament the last three years but unable to make it this year.
''She told me that I had to go out and shoot 64 yesterday, which I let her down and I didn't do that,'' Webb said. ''So, I made it up to her today.''
She certainly did.
Webb had 10 birdies and a bogey, playing the back nine in 6-under 30. She birdied five of the last six holes, making a 20-footer on the par-4 18th to finish at 19-under 269.
''I definitely putted probably the best I have all week,'' Webb said. ''Worked on a few things last night and really got the ball rolling on the back nine.''
Webb also rallied to win the Women's Australian Open last month and has 41 LPGA victories to match founding player Babe Zaharias for 10th place.
Third-round leader Lydia Ko parred the final three holes to finish a stroke back along with 2013 winner Stacy Lewis, Azahara Munoz, Amy Yang and Mirim Lee.
The 16-year-old Ko shot 70. She had a three-stroke lead after birdieing Nos. 2-5, slipped back with bogeys on Nos. 6, 9 and 11 and pulled within one with a birdie on the par-5 15th.
''I tried to get myself together,'' Ko said. ''I made some bogeys at the wrong time, which wasn't ideal, but I tried my best until the last.''
Munoz and Yang, playing together in the third-to-last group, missed long birdie putts on 18 and each shot 67. Lee shot 69 in the next group, also missing a long birdie try.
That left Ko - and her 25-foot try on the last was just short and right.
''I played really well overall, so I'm just going to take the positive out of it,'' Ko said.
Lewis birdied the final two holes for a 66.
''Unfortunately, I just came up one shot short,'' Lewis said. ''But to finish the way I did, it was just really nice to hit the shots and make the putts at the end of the round. Seeing putts go in always helps going into the next couple of weeks.''
DIVOTS: Jessica Korda, playing with Ko in the last group, had a quadruple-bogey 8 on the par-4 seventh after hitting her approach into the desert, then played 11 holes in 5 under to tie for seventh at 17 under. The Bahamas winner closed with a 70. ... Hee-Won Han also matched the course record with a 63 to tie for 15th at 14 under. Playing in the ninth group of the day, she holed a sand wedge for eagle on No. 7 and had only 24 putts. Ai Miyazato set the course record in the first round last year, and Cristie Kerr matched it Saturday. Kerr finished with a 67 to tie for 10th at 16 under. ... Top-ranked Inbee Park also closed with a 67 to tie for 10th.

Find Original article right here

No comments:

Post a Comment